My audio interfaced died… suggestions?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Jody Baker
      Participant

I have been meaning to upgrade for some time… I don’t want to break the bank, but want a good, quality interface. USB or Thunderbolt. Mostly do guitar stuff using plugins (Helix Native), and a little live guitar/vocal mic’ing. I imagine anything new would be an improvement in latency. I have a Line 6 UX2 laying around that I plugged in last night and it sounds horrid. What do you guys use/recommend?

Pete Thorn

I’m a UA fan, also Apogee. Can’t go wrong with either. They are solid and sound great!

Andi Picker
      Participant

It’s hard to go wrong with the Series 2 Scarlett interfaces from Focusrite, and Audients have some of better pres/converters on the market. Personally I use a many years old RME FF400 which has been flexible and reliable and is still supported with updated software by the manufacturer. I’ve reviewed several Fosusrite, Presonus, Audient and other interfaces in Guitar Interactive magazine over the past year or three – do a site search on http://www.iguitar.com if you want to check any of them out.

Andi

Eric Ritter
      Participant

I also have a UX2. Looking back, it never really did sound all that great. And when I first tried Helix Native, I had a similar experience, horrible latency and lousy sound (I also have a Helix Rack, so I knew what I should be hearing).

So I bought a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. It sounds great, but if I run the buffer size too low and run the sample rate too high, I get digital pops and clicks. So because of that, I do wind up with a slight bit of latency.

The main reason I use Native and the Scarlett is because I drive truck, and the rack is just too bulky in the sleeper. So the portability of the Scarlett is handy. Hoping that Line 6 is coming out with a TT or Pod version of the Helix.

James Kuhnel
      Participant

yeah the Focusrite Scarlets IMO are the best budget interface on the market at the moment

Jody Baker
      Participant

I checked out the UA stuff, and it’s awesome, but a little pricey. I got a Scarlet solo and couldn’t be happier with the guitar stuff so far… I can drop my buffer down and get dang near no latency and no pops and clicks. This will work out well until I can drop some bigger bucks.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!!

Eric Ritter
      Participant

Good deal, glad it worked out for ya!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2021 Pete Thorn

Contact Pete

I'm not around right now. But you can send me an email and I'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account