Spinning like a top on attenuators

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Derek Kirk 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author
     Derek Kirk 
    Participant

Hey,

New to forum and have a dilemma. I was all set to purchase a Fryette PS2 when I saw Peter’s video on the Universal Ox. So I had to research it and Wow! After days of reviewing tons of videos the $1300 vs. $700 was the decision until I spotted the Boss WAZA tube amp expander…Whaaat??

Now I am spinning like a top trying to decide which to get. Need your help. Been playing guitar for years, recording is a non-issue, and gigs are pretty much in my past. I am a super tone freak, RCA’s, Sylvanias, and Siemens occupy my main tube amps. I dabble with pedals and rack effects, this is why the effects loop catches my eye. Oh, and no I can’t buy all three. I have an iPad so the Ox is looking very tempting but I doubt I will be using the cab sims or mic variations. Headphone jack is bonus.

I guess if you could only purchase one, which would it be? And why?
    Also, if I missed a good attenuator let me know?

Really appreciate any help.
    Thanks.

old dude 
    Participant

If you use UAD as your audio interface, IMO getting the OX is a no brainer since you get to use a decent selection of your UAD plug ins when you track. If most of what you are doing is just attenuating SPL in your practice space… IMO as a stand alone attenuator.. the Fryette would be a good way to go, dialing down attenuation rather than stepping down on the OX gives a bit more flexibility and on the high end loss of attenuation isn’t as noticeable and a bit easier to dial back in. Have not played with Boss WAZA tube amp expander. Going to tell on myself because its kinda funny… I had to edit this because instead of typing SPL.. I typed SPF originally… ( I wonder which gives you the best sun tan… playing loud.. or playing fast?)

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by  old dude.
     Derek Kirk 
    Participant

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, after the GAS has worn off, I think the Fryette PS2 is the way to go. Plus it is cheaper.

Thanks again.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Contact Pete

I'm not around right now. But you can send me an email and I'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

©2019 Pete Thorn

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account