Suhr Reactive Load

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Gear Nerd
      Participant

Just ordered a Suhr Reactive Load Box after seeing Pete’s video on the subject. Feels like christmas eve, so excited even though I’m 51. So guys do you have any favourite IR’s, I’ve downloaded the Two Notes wall of sound software. I am going to start with the Celestion IR’S.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Gear Nerd.
      Pete Thorn

I’d start by using the cabs/mics you’d gravitate towards in the real world…

Fuey
      Participant

I went with the Rivera Rockcrusher recording. Of course I got this before knowing about the Suhr model. All the same, that thing has changed this old guys life! The tones I can squeeze out of my tube amps are just incredible, and the eq section is truly amazing. I’m a noob when it comes to the newer recording gear and IR’s. I’ve just been out of the music scene for the last 15 years or so, and wow have things changed. As for IR’s etc…. I am researching the Kemper profiler amp at the moment. So far it seems to fool everyone that plays thru one. I think Pete may have a demo of it out there. If not I hope he does a full review soon! Glad to be part of this community! Take care, Fuey

Gear Nerd
      Participant

Thanks Pete,

Unfortunately there has been a slight delay in my shipment so I have had a day of research.

I am using Celestion V-30’s at the moment so I will take your advice and stick with them.
      It will be interesting to see how close I can get with the IR’s, I am going to try the one made by Celestion themselves it sounded great in your video. Once I am happy I will get me some Greenbacks.

Thanks again for your advice it is really appreciated.

Pete Thorn

Just used a Celestion V30 IR in combination with Positive Grid (which I’d never used before) to cut a metal track for a TV spot- sounded great, for that tone. I’m sure you won’t be disappointed.

Gear Nerd
        Participant

Thanks Pete,
        Going to check it out later.

The Suhr Reactive Load box is great, but I wish they had a 1 stop-shop solution. I am looking forward to Dec 2017 for Universal Audio’s newly announced OX. But its vaporware until then.

My main gear includes a Torpedo Studio, which is expensive but a great smart reactive load box. Smart as in connect your real amp, select your impedance, and many mostly good speaker IRs and w modeled Mike placement.

The free Wall Of Sound software is fairly intuitive. You have to pay for the cab IRs. That said, many of the cabs have too much gain, too modern and not for me. I prefer clean, edge of breakup sounds. THese 4 cabs are great and highly realistic: BDeLuxe, Blonde 63 , Voice 65 & 30 and Vibro Utah.

Have a great day and play

Gear Nerd
        Participant

Jim The White Falcon,
        Thanks for the tips on some clean IR’s I will be checking these out this weekend.
        I’ll let you know how I get on.

Michael Marsh
      Participant

I use Positive Grid and I like it a lot. I’ve ‘modeled’ a few of my own amps; in particular my Trinity Tramp which is single-ended but with a 5881. Preamp is a single 12AX7. Futzing with the many and varied available parameters in PG got me very close. Sounds great with Bias’s pedal software, too!

Gear Nerd
      Participant

Blown away with the tone I am getting out of the reactive load, I’ve been sticking to the vintage 30’s and my PT head is sounding awesome. I will check out the Positive Grid as I haven’t heard about it before.
      Going to pick up some other cabs this weekend, I have been to the Celestion web site after seeing Pete’s demo and I think I will get me some Creambacks.

Gear Nerd
      Participant

Just picked up the USA PT ir from Two Notes, very impressed
      with this ir. Getting great clean and dirty tones.

Hey Gear Nerd,

By PT do you mean Pete Thorn Suhr amp cab? So it sounds close to the original?

Ir’s are amazing.

Jim

Gear Nerd
        Participant

Hi Jim,

Yes it sounds great with my PT head well worth the $, having a great time with the ir’s.
        This reactive load box is fantastic. I don’t have the PT cab to compare the two, I have a 2 x 12 loaded with V30’s. Loving the tones (as are my neighbours).

Hi Pete

Ok good to know. I plan to spend my $9 for that speaker ir. OMG, $9 for a world class speaker cabinet. I love it. Hey with the amount of great gear reviews your neighbors should only be musicians. Like my old apt building at Berklee. Everybody was a player. Horn, bass, drums , guitar. When anyone walked by it sounded like a giant rehearsal cacophony.

Best
      Jim

Gear Nerd
        Participant

Hi Jim,

Let me know how you get on with mike placement, I am experimenting with this at the moment. getting some good results.
        Berkley must have been a blast, I am just self taught and I regret not going to music school. There are not many here in the UK.

Hi Pete

I saw your Guiton panel discussion with you, Henning and the other folks. Loved the whole Event. As usual your comments were most enlightening.

I like your description of your DAW studio
      -Logic
      -IRs (Vox, PT 100, Marshall, etc)
      -Drums (Steven Slate, Apple loops, East Drummer, also (Groove monkey, Slam track)

All this helps you get creating faster.

This seems like either a great video lesson idea…”How I Record in My Studio” that I would be willing to pay to subscribe.

Not sure if you do online studio lessons or have the time? But I am interested if you do. I have taken Skype lessons with Greg Koch. I would be interested in taking some lessons from you on getting my home studio gear to be setup. Let me know.

Also, there is probably a business opportunity since many home studio guys, like me, are facing the complexity of integrating new gear. You have a natural creative gift for communicating guitar gear both new and old. While I have a masters in Telecommunications I am still struggling sometimes to make it sounds great easily.

For me the IR software players are not easy to use. I have a Two Notes Studio, but strangely the sound from the WOS plugin seems better. MixIR is hard to navigate. The whole IRs business needs a professionally designed and supported product. You should whisper in Celestion’s ear to consider doing this.

Alternatively UAD (or Apple maybe) is going to study the market and come out with a really easy to use, solid IR solution that does plays 500 ms , with Mic placement, speaker cabs, Ocean Way room sound, Maybe it will be the UAD OX.

Let me know about lessons

Thanks
      Jim The White Falcon…

The Kemper people did this right and support profile exchange and an easy to use box and their whole 3rd party rig market.

Thanks

Jim

Pete Thorn

Hi Jim, some cool ideas there, I am developing a clinic that is basically “how I record”, a production clinic.. in conjunction with Suhr.. coming soon!

Gear Nerd
      Participant

That’s going to be great, please let us know when we can see it.

Glenn Burgos
        Participant

Hi Pete. One question I have about how you record the PT100 using the Suhr Reactive Load is this: Do you make use of the PT100’s Effect Return Level as a master volume or do you hit the Suhr RL with full power?

Frank
      Participant

Hi, Great channel Pete thank you. Have your CDs and been following your videos. I was considering the reactive load or the Kemper, not sure which way to go. Have tried Two notes SW with celestion IR’s using GTR3/Amplitube. Not sure how much of an improvement the Suhr would be and if the kemper is that much better and worth spending the extra $1000 or so over the price of the reactive load? Would be interested in your perspective.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2021 Pete Thorn

Contact Pete

I'm not around right now. But you can send me an email and I'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account